Saturday, June 8, 2013

Changing (Not Breaking) Character

The first time I played Skyrim, I played without mods and without (most) cheats. The second time through, I decided to give them a try, and then I decided to get creative. The use of console commands, as well as the panoply of available mods (particularly ShowRaceMenu Alternative) allowed me to create a versatile and immersive roleplaying experience.

ShowRaceMenu Alternative allowed me to begin the story with one character, then switch mid-story to another. I changed the look and name to something new, selecting new attributes and abilities to pursue. I can switch characters every time I want a change of pace. One character could be a mage, another an archer. Having multiple characters let me play around with different playing styles without breaking character for any one of them. When necessary, console commands let me tweak weapons and character attributes to match what each character needed.

I know it is dorky, but I modeled my characters after the Zelda franchise: Carock*, Zelda, Ganondorf, Sheik, Aveil, and Goriya. This way, I was at times a wizard, an archer, a battlemage, an illusionist, a thief, a swordsman, and a ranger, all depending on each character's skills. I could switch any time I got bored, or any time I thought the story needed to catch up with a character. The game played like a book reads, focusing on one character during one chapter, then switching to another in the next. And each mission varies. I could fight for good with Zelda, then switch gears and perform evil missions with Ganondorf. She was a hero and a friend to many; he often used followers to help him achieve great power, then killed them at the moment of success. Carock was mostly a solitary character, but he spent a some time performing black missions with the Dark Brotherhood. Aveil was as a rogue seeking treasure and adventure. Sheik let me switch from sword-and-bow ranger Zelda to smoke-and-blade ninja Zelda. Goriya was thief on the run from city authorities; he sometimes found shelter and camaraderie in the Ratway. Moblins were used for their muscle. Ganon had great use for their simple loyalty and brute strength. Zelda saw their value as well, and managed to make a friend of one, a particularly sturdy brute name Iron-Hand.



* Carock was the wizard from the Fourth Palace (the Island Maze) in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
(my favorite game from the series).

No comments:

Post a Comment